Monday, 15 February 2016
Records to Save - Leo Kottke with 'My Father's Face'
I recently discovered this work of Leo Kottke. I thought his records were only instrumental but this also sings and he does in great way. I have in my collection his instrumental masterpiece '6 & 12 String Guitar' that reminds certain works of John Fahey.
But here Kottke combines his music in fresh and original way with traditional elements like folk and blues creating a very personal music and little abstract but also 'very American'.
Thanks also to the production of T Bone Burnett he alternates beautiful instrumental like 'Theme from The Rick and Bob Report' and 'William Powell' with ballads sung with his deep voice and persuasive as 'Fix My Car', 'Everybody lies' and 'Jack gets up' latter very special.
An adorable work that forces me to the discovery of his other records like 'Greenhouse', 'My feet are smiling' and also 'Ice water'.
Sound of this record is Excellent...
Good Listening !!
Private Music (209 910)
- 1969 6 & 12 String Guitar - Takoma (C-1024)
- 1972 Greenhouse - Capitol Records (ST-11000)
- 1972 My Feet are Smiling - Capitol Records (ST-11164)
- 1974 Ice Water - Capitol Records (ST-11262)
- 1974 Dreams and all that stuff - Capitol Records (E-ST 11335)
- 1980 Guitar Music - Chrysalis (203 646-320)